Windows XP – wireless
The Connection Procedure at UAIC Wireless Network using the Windows XP operating system
In order to be able to set up the wireless connection, your computer has to be equipped with a wireless adapter (“Network card”), the corresponding drivers have to be correctly installed, in Control Panel -> Network Connections the interface has to be enable and the IP address has to be obtained using the DHCP Protocol.
If you are part of an institution affiliated to EDUROAM and you have an account, you can connect to wireless network from Alexandru Ioan Cuza University or you can create a PPPoE connection with username and password owned.
In order to create a network connection you have to take the following steps:
Observation: The users that already have an account and an access password in the network will go directly to the 9th step (they are registered in the LDAP directory).
- Click on the wireless connection icon from System Tray, in the Wireless Network Connection window
- Select the uaic network and click Connect
- The uaic network, being an “open” type network, does not require a user and a password. Select the option Connect Anyway.
- In a few moments the connection to the uaic network will be achieved. This connection will enable your registration as a user of the UAIC
- When opening any webpage, you will be redirected to the registration page for the creation of the access account in the network. In case your browser and/or antivirus do not allow the redirection, access directly the page: https://register.uaic.ro
- Fill in with attention every field in the corresponding registration form (employee / guest / student)
- By filling in the registration form, you acknowledge your agreement to the Security Policy and Security Plan of the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University. After the filling of the form, in maximum3 working days, the data will be processed, and your user account will be created.
- If there is no discrepancy between the data you introduced upon registration and the data from the database of the Alexandru Ioan Cuza University, you can find out the user name with which you will log in the network by accessing , within the 3 working days, the page: https://register.uaic.ro/test-account.php.
- In case the registration form was not correctly filled in, your request will be rejected, and you can find out the motivation by accessing the page: https://register.uaic.ro/deleted.php.
- After the data were processed and you obtained the network access user name you will have to download and install the encryption program of the connection: https://register.uaic.ro/downloads/SecureW2_TTLS_333.exe
The installation of the program SecureW2_TTLS_333.exe takes place in the following manner:
Select the language of the interface and then click OK:
In order to confirm the continuation of the installation, click Next;
Click on I Agree in order to confirm and accept the SecureW2 licence;
Select all the available components and then click Install;
After the successful installation, restart your computer by clicking on Finish
After install SecureW2 EAP Suite, click on System Tray , after that on the Wireless Network Connection and select Change advanced settings:
In the Wireless Network Connection Properties window select the Wireless Networks tab.
In the Wireless Networks tab select the Use Windows to configure my wireless network settings option, then click Add..
In the Association tab fill in the necessary options for the connection: In the Network name (SSID) field write:
- wlcadre if you are teaching staff.
- wlstud if you are a student.
- wladmin if you carry out your activity within the administrative services of any faculty.
- wladm if you carry out your activity within the administrative services of the university.
- wlextra for any other natural or legal person who is in contact with the university and benefits from a network access account.
Select the option Connect even if the network is not broadcasting
For Network Authentication select the option WPA2
Observation: In case the WPA2 option is not available you will have to download and install the update: https://register.uaic.ro/downloads/WindowsXP-KB893357-v2-x86-ENU.exe
- For Data Encryption select the AES option
- DO NOT select the option This is a computer-to-computer (ad-hoc) network; wireless access points are
- In the Authentication tab select the option Enable IEEE 802.1x authentication for this network, for EAP type: select SecureW2 EAP-TTLS, then click Properties
- We will configure the parameters used by the SecureW2 program.
- In the SecureW2 Configuration window click Configure
- In the Connection tab check only the option Enable session resumption (quick connect)
- In the Certificates tab check the options Verify server certificate and Verify server name. For the name of the server use uaic.ro, then click Add CA
- In the window SecureW2 Add Trusted Root CA select the certificate AddTrust External CA Root, then click Add CA
- In the Authentication tab, for the Select Authentication Method field, select the value PAP
- In the User account tab you can check the option Prompt user for creditentials, in which case at every authentication you will manually introduce the user name and password or you can fill in directly, with the corresponding values, the Username, Password and Domain fields (for the Domain field use the name ro). In the second case, both the user name and the password will be memorized and it will not be necessary to reintroduce them every time you connect to the network.
- Click on Advanced
- In the SecureW2 Advanced window check the Allow users to setup new connection option, then click OK
- Use the OK button to close the User account tab, then the SecureW2 Configuration window.
- In this moment the active window is Wireless Network Properties. If you wish this connection to be made automatically, select the Connection tab, then the Connect when this network is in range
- Use the OK button to close the Wireless Network Properties and Wireless Network Connection Properties
- In this moment your connection is configured and you can use the wireless network with the ssid that corresponds to your statute.