Network Policy for RoEduNet
Operating Regulations of the
Data Communication Infrastructure RoEduNet
I. General Approach
Art. 1 RoEduNet is a nationally concern data communication infrastructure, defined and developed within the framework of national education system. The Data Communication Infrastructure RoEduNet (DCI RoEduNet) is open for all non-profit institutions, with Romanian judicial personality, which carry on educational, research and/or cultural activities. In the following these institutions will be called eligible institutions.
Art. 2 DCI RoEduNet carries out the Romanian Education Ministry (REM) strategy, in the data communications field for the use of all the institutions from the Romanian educational system.
Art. 3 DCI RoEduNet is organized on a computer network topology, and is a part of the global system Internet. RoEduNet respects the actual international principles and regulations with regards to the Internet system.
Art. 4 Any activity which is carried out through DCI RoEduNet must respect the national and international legislation as well as the present regulations.
Art. 5 DCI RoEduNet’s goals are:
- Support for educational, research and cultural activities.
- Eligible institutions interconnect for communication, reporting, collaboration and resource sharing.
- Facilitating the free and non-discriminating eligible institution access to the educational, scientific and cultural resources existing on Internet.
- The ease of an efficient management of the Romanian educational system.
- Advanced technologies promotion, competence creation, support for the development of education and research in the field of information technology and communications.
III. Definitions and terms
Art. 6 Romanian Educational System is built upon all the institutions, infrastructures and persons engaged in the Romanian educational, research and cultural process which are coordinated through specific instruments / institutions of the Romanian Government.
Art. 7 Internet is the international computers network. Internet regulations are found in INTERNIC, RIPE, etc. stipulations.
Art. 8 Computing resource is any object (physical or logical) which enables the computing process (whatever its nature is). Resource instances are (at least these):
- Individual computers, network servers or other communication systems.
- Electronic computers, their components like : hard-disks, memories, processors, etc.
- Routers, modems, HUBs, etc.
- Linking devices, like cables, antennas, and fiber optics, which provide interconnection between computing resources.
- Local area networks.
Art. 9 Communication system represents the logical and physical part, which enables information exchange between two systems.
Art. 10 Account is any identifier and/or password providing access at the communication systems or at a computing resource.
Art. 11 User is any person using DCI RoEduNet or computing resources belonging to DCI RoEduNet.
Art. 12 User is any person using DCI RoEduNet or computing resources belonging to DCI RoEduNet.
Art. 13 RoEduNet member is any eligible institution according to Art.1 align 2, which use DCI RoEduNet and satisfies the RoEduNet’s principles, politics and regulations.
Art. 14 Local area network is a computing resources system connected through a communication system, which belongs to a RoEduNet member.
Art. 15 The DCI RoEduNet operating is regulated through National Education Minister’s Order (NEMO), according to the national and international legislation.
This means that the Operating Regulations of DCI RoEduNet, along with any modification on this are carried through NEMO. Any other regulations concerning the development of the network, the financing method, representation, association, etc. which are not stipulated in the Operating Regulations are carried through NEMO, too.
In the deciding process, the National Education Minister relies on the Coordination Council of DCI RoEduNet. DCI RoEduNet administration is one of the tasks of the DCI RoEduNet’s Administration and Operation Office. (DCI RoEduNet AOO)
Art. 16 The Coordination Council of DCI RoEduNet (CCR) is an advisory authority of the National Education Minister.
The constitution of the CCR is regulated through NEMO. CCR is lead by a president and a secretary. The CCR secretary is usually the head of the RoEduNet’s Coordinating Service or the director of the Informatics Division of the National Education Ministry.
CCR constitutes compulsory of the general director and the regional branch DCI RoEduNet AOO’s directors, along with:
- Representatives of the most important RoEduNet member institutions.
- Personalities from the information and communication technology domain.
- Representatives of the firms with which National Education Ministry engages strategic collaboration partnerships in the domain.
Art. 17 CCR’s duties are:
- Elaborates development projects of the DCI RoEduNet.
- Suggests methods for financing RoEduNet.
- Elaborates strategies:
- For RoEduNet’s interconnection with other Internet Service providers;
- Of RoEduNet’s collaboration and association with similar national and international networks;
- For RoEduNet’s participation at international programs;
- For RoEduNet’s representation in the national and international systems interest driven;
- For RoEduNet’s partnership with companies in the field of information and communication technology.
- Elaborates analytical materials concerning the operating way of DCI RoEduNet and of DCI RoEduNet AOO.
Art. 18 CCR meets at least twice a year and is convoked by the president or the secretary of the council.
Art. 19 The Data Communication Infrastructure RoEduNet is organized on three levels:
- Level 0 represents the kernel RoEduNet and includes the external links, RoEduNet internal nodes (Bucharest, Cluj, Iasi, Timisoara, Craiova, Tg-Mures) along with the links between them.
- Level 1 represents the RoEduNet’s points-of-presence (POP) and their links at the level 0 nodes.
The structure of the levels 0 and 1 of DCI RoEduNet is established through NEMO.
- Level 2 represents the RoEduNet’s members and includes their local area networks, along with the links between these networks and the level 0 and level 1 nodes of DCI RoEduNet.
Art. 20 DCI RoEduNet’s Administration and Operation Office (DCI RoEduNet AOO) is a public institution with juridical personality, subordinate National Education Ministry founded through HG no.515/1998.
Art. 21 The main task DCI RoEduNet AOO is the operation and administration of the RoEduNet’s levels 0 and 1 and to connect the RoEduNet’s members at the level0 and level 1 nodes.
For this, DCI RoEduNet AOO
- Assures the operation of the internal nodes, the access of the RoEduNet’s members at the internal nodes and traffic monitoring through these nodes. Depending on certain conditions, DCI RoEduNet AOO can contract others for satisfying a part of these tasks.
- Installs or leases national or international communication channels and assures the operation of these in the network.
- Realizes the RoEduNet’s development programs.
- Manages the RoEduNet’s financing resources.
- Obtains and maintains the equipment which operate on the levels 0 and 1 of RoEduNet. Depending on certain conditions, DCI RoEduNet AOO can contract other institutions for installing and maintaining this equipment.
- Offers consulting services free or paid, for RoEduNet’s members.
- Develops activities having as a goal the promotion of advanced technologies, competence creation, education and research development in the information and communications technology domain.
- Performs other activities, according to HG no.515/1998 and the National Education Minister Orders.
Art. 22 RoEduNet member can become any eligible institution according to Art.1, alin.2, which addresses a writing request to National Education Ministry and agrees the principles, politics and regulations of RoEduNet.
Art. 23 The RoEduNet member attribute, gathering all the rights and obligations which are implied, is obtained by means of a contract with National Education Ministry and DCI RoEduNet AOO. The convention is signed by the head of the institution which demands to become a RoEduNet member, by the president or the secretary of the RoEduNet’s Coordination Council and by the general director of the DCI RoEduNet AOO.
In this convention are mentioned the rights and obligations of the parts involved, usage technical details of the services along with financial issues.
Art. 24 The RoEduNet member attribute, can be withdrawn through a decision of the CCR RoEduNet, in one of the following situations:
- The respective institution loses its attribute of eligible institution
- The respective institution violates in a flagrant way, deliberate or repeatedly the signed convention for obtaining the RoEduNet member attribute.
The respective institution will be notified on the decision to withdraw the RoEduNet member attribute through a paper signed by the CCR’s president or secretary.
Art. 25 The financing of the DCI RoEduNet’s levels 0 and 1, representing communication fees, operating and administering expenses, development programs expenses and acquirement and maintenance of the equipment expenses is realized through the DCI RoEduNet AOO budget from the following sources:
- National Education Ministry allowances
- Other ministries allowance (ministries, which have subordinates institutions as RoEduNet members)
- External financing, eventually completing the direct financing of the Romanian state
- RoEduNet members’ contributions
- Other DCI RoEduNet AOO’s incomes.
Art. 26 The value of the RoEduNet members’ contributions for the network’s financing is established each year through NEMO, after consulting the RoEduNet members and CCR.
Art. 27 The financing of the DCI RoEduNet’s level 2 is the exclusive responsibility of the RoEduNet members which initiate and benefit directly of the respective network segments.
VI. Access and Interconnection Regulations
Art. 28 Any RoEduNet member gains free and equal access to all the DCI RoEduNets resources.
Art. 29 RoEduNet members agree to access the DCI RoEduNet’s resources according with the present regulations and with the signed convention for gaining the RoEduNet member attribute.
Art. 30 DCI RoEduNet AOO is able to take limiting access measures against those who violate the present regulations or the signed convention for gaining the RoEduNet member attribute. The limiting access measures are: partially or totally interruption of some or all of the enabled access at DCI RoEduNet services towards one or more points of access or towards certain servers belonging to the respective institution. These are time-limited measures until the case is solved.
Art. 31 DCI RoEduNet is open for interconnection with other data communication service providers for decreasing the roundabout traffic.
Art. 32 As a general rule, the DCI RoEduNet interconnection to other networks should permit exclusively the data transmission to and from RoEduNet members.
Art. 33 The DCI RoEduNet interconnection links with other networks are available only at the RoEduNet’s internal nodes, the RoEduNet members not being able to realize such links.
Art. 34 The DCI RoEduNet interconnection with another network is realized based on an interconnection convention. The RoEduNet Coordinating Council president or secretary signs the convention along with the general director of DCI RoEduNet AOO and an authorized representative of the other network.
Art. 35 The DCI RoEduNet interconnection strategy with other data communication service providers is established periodically through NEMO.
Art. 36 An exception from the Art.31-Art.35, can be the interconnections with data communication infrastructures with the same profile (educational, academic, research, cultural). The interconnection with this kind of network doesn’t have limited character and can be realized based on a association protocol signed by the National Education Minister.
VII. The rights and obligations of the RoEduNet members, administrators and users
Art. 37 The RoEduNet members, administrators and users’ rights and obligations are established by the present regulations and the three behavior codes specific for each category: RoEduNet Member Institution Code, RoEduNet System Administrator Code, RoEduNet User Code.
Art. 38 Each RoEduNet Member may elaborate its own operating rules and regulations, but these have to include the ones provided in the RoEduNet Member Institution and RoEduNet System Administrator rules described in what follows.
Art. 39 Operating Regulations for the RoEduNet Member Institution
- The RoEduNet Member has to follow the state laws and the rules provided in the present regulation.
- RoEduNet member institution chairmans are directly ressponsabile with the correct following of the present regulations, in the name of the institution the coordonate and also in the name of its users.
- Each equipment utilised inside ICD RoEduNet must have its own System Administrator, administrator who will follow the RoEduNet System Administrators Regulations.
- The System Administrator is concerned only with the correct utilisation of that equipment.
- Lack of a System Administrator or an unqualified one makes all the responsibility fall on the institutions chairman.
- The RoEduNet Member is responsable for evaluating the knowledge level of the futurt System Administrator.
- Until else proven, the RoEduNet Member Institution has to consider that all its users and system administrators are of “good faith” and they qualify for the highest standards of moral and ethic.
- All security measures fall under the direct incidency of the RoEduNet Member Institution.
- The chairman has to follow the following regulations:
- Has to have his own official e-mail address that he/she has to check each day. This e-mail will be used by MEN for communicating new orders and for the management of the national system for education. Also, this address will be used by OAOCID RoEduNet for communicating informations regarding the well working of ICD RoEduNet. In the case that OAOCID RoEduNet or MEN ask a specific question, an answer must be given.
- Has to inform all administrators and users of ICD RoEduNet of their respective rights and obligations.
- Has to assure that all users recieve directions about what adequate resource utilisation means, and also about what will be done if a violation of the regulations is made.
- For the violation of the regulations of the RoEduNet Member Institution, the chairman will be notified. In the case that the violation repeats itself, OAOCID RoEduNet will limit the member’s access to the ICD RoEduNet resources. If this measure fails too the violating institution will be disconnected from the ICD RoEduNet. If no actions form the violating institution are taken, CCR may propose the redrawal of the RoEduNet membership.
Art. 40 The RoEduNet Systems Administrator’s Regulations
- The system administrator is a qualified person that handels and operates an equipment for the use of other people.
- The administrator will have the obligation to mentain in good condition the equipment he administers.
- The administrator has the constant obligation to elaborate his/hers proffessional knowledge.
- The administrator also has to follow the User’s regulations due to the fact that he/she is actually a user too.
- Having more rights that the default user, the system administrators may not abuse this fact.
- He/She will constantly check up the equipments behaviour, and will check up with all the other administrators if something goes wrong.
- He/She will take measures for revealing any unauthorised usage of the resources that he has into administration.
- He/She has ther right to restrict the access to ICD RoEduNet resources if the user is found of violating any part of its regualtion.
- In the cast that the administrator fails follow the present regualtions, he will be notified. If this happens again his administering job will be revoked and he/she may also suffer administrative consequences.
Art. 41 RoEduNet Users Regulations
- All users will access the ICD RoEduNet in a ethical and legal manner.
- Untill else proven, all users are to be considerd as of “good faith”, and qualify to the highest standards of morals and ethics.
- As a condition to become a user, the person has to accept the present regulations.
- The network resources will only be used in academic and administrative purposes and only incidentally in personal purposes.
- The users have the responsibility of their actions.
- The intentional utilisation of the resources in any other purpose than the academic, administrative or personal – noncomercial, will be considered as beeing unauthorised.
Without limiting ourselfs, here are some examples of missutilisation:
- Utilisation of the resources in any other means then they were originally designed to.
- Utilisation of an account or computer without authorisation, or handing resources to third parties or groups without speciffic authorisation.
- Reading, modifying, deleting, copying, adding or printing files, programs or passwords, that the respective person does not own and is not authorised to access.
- Utilisation of E-Mail, web servers and buletins for transmiting obscene, repeated, illegal or unsolicited and with a comercial caracter.
- Writing, distributing and utilising programs that bother other people or deteriorate software or hardware components inside utilised equipments (eg. viruses).
- Compromising the systems security.
- Compromising the systems integrity.
- Utilisation of unauthorised or unlicensed programs.
- Violating licenceing terms the the institution is bounded to.
- Stealing or highjacking the equipments (eg. equipments, information, programs, utilisation time). Activities the lead to limiting accessibility to other users.
- The users that are found not to follow this regulations are to answer to the providing institution. Actions can be taken on a disciplinary, administrative or legal line.
- The responsibility of handeling a violating user falls under the incidency of the systems administrator as well as to the institutions chairman.
- In the case that the user fails to comply to these regulations, he will be notified. If it happens again he will be sanctioned. If the violation is of a serious matter, and made intentionally the user will no longer access any resource from ICD RoEduNet.
Art. 42 The present regulations werw approved by OMEN no.3704 from 26.04.2000